Life and faith issues can vary from person to person and region to region. These are my takes on these issues from a rural perspective as God has blessed me to live and serve in rural areas for much of my life.

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts and share your own!

Saturday, March 5, 2011

What Christians can learn from the Volunteer Fire Department

I have recently had the opportunity to join the Volunteer Fire Department here in my local community in east Tennessee.  It is an eclectic group of young, middle aged, and older rednecks who come together and give their time and efforts to protect the lives and property of those around them. Now granted alot of the motivation for some of the younger guys is the fact that we get to go fast with sirens and horns and then play with extremely powerful water hoses.

It was while I was spending time with this group today and in the last few times with them that I started to see something. This group that has both Christians and unbelievers alike is actually a great picture of Christ's love in Scripture.  How can this be you might say. well look at the words of Christ as He is talking with His disciples in the gospel of John: "This is my commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you.  Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." (15:12-13)

Now I am not saying that all of the guys in the department are mature discples or even believers in Christ, but I am starting to see that everywhere around us God calls His children's attention to them if they will just look.  Yes the Holy Scriptures are the only perfect place to find truth about Christ, His salvation, and the live are to live in light of Him and His salvation, but we can find practical examples of Scripture around us if we would just keep the things of Christ and His kingdom on the forefront of our minds.  It does not take a pastor or a Sunday school teacher or anything for one to be able to learn practical discipleship actions, all it takes is a believer that interacts with and meditates on the Word of God and through the power of the Holy Spirit and God's sovereign wisdom in all of creation and you can grow, be strengthened, and challenged in your walk with Christ.

Just an simple observation from a guy looking to see all He can on this the rural route God has placed Him on for righteousness.  I pray the grace, mercy and peace of God bless you on the route He has each of you on.

No comments:

Post a Comment